NNAS Silver Navigation Syllabus: Dartmoor, Devon
- Set a Compass bearing from map to ground.
- Use a compass to follow bearings accurately across open ground over short legs.
- Measure distances with reasonable accuracy by double pacing and timing.
- Estimate the time needed for height gain.
- Use major landforms (hills, spurs, valleys, ridges) as a means of navigation.
- Identify smaller contour features on a map and ground ie re entrants and small hills.
- Use aiming off to reach a target on a linear feature.
- Identify the most appropriate route, where more than one is available.
- Use coarse navigation and collection features to locate an attack point.
- From an attack point use fine navigation to locate a target.